Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Dead Girlfriend Vol 1 by Eric Wight

I picked this graphic novel from the new book selection at the library. I am so glad I did. This is a light, funny story that touches on real teen angst.
Finney Bleak comes from a long line of cursed individuals. His entire family has been fated to die in weird and horrific ways (some so funny I had to stop and breath after reading them). He just knows his time is coming.
Finney doesn't live in the same world as we do. His classmates include witches, werewolves, vampires and other assorted creatures. Finney comes across as the only "normal" one in the bunch except that his dead relatives refuse to stay dead. The ghosts of his family irritate him.
The only shining moment he had was at the carnival months previous when he met Jenny, his true love or so he thought. His heart is broken when she disappears from his life.
Stuck in high school hell, Finney is just trying to survive. He's bullied and friendless but when he learns what happened to Jenny he discovers he can find something worthwhile.
It doesn't feel like one of "those" books but underneath the charm of Finney's plight is a real emotional story about growing up, falling in love and facing the world.
The only thing that disappointed me was when I discovered that this was Volume 1 (of course at the end of the story) and I would have to wait to find out what happens next.

No comments: