Monday, September 26, 2011

BPRD Being Human by Mike Mignola

After watching Hellboy and Hellboy 2, I was ready to take on BPRD. I love the Hellboy stories. The difference with BPRD novels is that Hellboy does not take center stage. It's nice to get more story on the other characters.
Being Human starts with a story starring Liz as a teenager. This gives some back story for Liz and shows the start of her growth into a strong confident woman.
The next two stories come and go rather quickly - a short with Abe and Liz. Their dialogue is touching when they discuss how they didn't choose the life they are living.
Followed by Johan Krauss's backstory. Johan's backstory wasn't even hinted at in the movies so this was a real delight for me.
Finally, the book is wrapped up with a case for Hellboy and Roger. Roger was not in the movies nor has he appeared in the Hellboy graphics I have read so he was an interesting character to me. There was backstory included with this tale of VooDoo.
My only complaint is the same one I have for most graphic novels - it wasn't long enough. I love the simplicity and design of graphic novels but they are never long enough for me to feel like I got completely emmersed in the world. It's not a bad thing because it gets me looking for the next issue but sad for those of us who want to visit for awhile longer.

No comments: