Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Bare Facts by Josh McDowell

In college, I studied to teach sex education. As a parent of a teen male, I am constantly looking for good resources for him to learn to make healthy choices. The Bare Facts toted 39 questions your parents hope you never ask about sex. This book was right up my alley.
However, that was not the case. This was not a bad book but the title does not prepare the reader for the Christian feel of the book.
I was thoroughly impressed with Josh McDowell's view of the bible, saying that he believe God wants us to have sex but wait until we are married. There's a lot to be said for taking that viewpoint.
The book did fall flat for me, though. There was a lot of discussion of STD's, especially HPV. I understand the transmission rates have increased but over half of the book focused on why sex out of marriage leads to STDs. I think that's a naive approach and one that will turn readers away. But then again, reading the book in bits and pieces might be how the author intended it to be used. I sat and read it cover to cover and in the end, I no longer cared that the premise was awesome.
I did like the start of the book and the argument for waiting to have sex. I prefer that concept to "just say no". There was some great stuff at the end as well when Josh McDowell starts talking about peer pressure and how it's never too late to live God's original design.
As someone who's not a Christian, I was torn. There may be Christian reviewers out there who love the message in this book. I was left uninspired even though I felt that way early in the book.

No comments: