Monday, October 3, 2011

The Sneezy Wheezy Day by Sharon Cramer

This book is due to hit stores January 1, 2012. I hate to review it so early but there are other books in this series that are available.
The Sneezy Wheezy Day is the latest book in the Cougar Cub Tales from B&F Publishing (located in Spokane, not so far from me!). It's beautifully illustrated. The colors are vibrant and attractive.
The story is cute - a brother and sister cougar are out playing when the brother becomes ill. The sister takes him to all the animals looking for a cure. The cures are silly and don't work so sister cougar puts brother to bed and when he wakes he's all better.
I didn't love this book and that makes me sad because I wanted to love it. I think for an adult the book is simple and fun but for a child the words are advanced. Sharon Cramer's vocabulary is beyond the scope of the reader for this book. I would guess the book was designed for quite a young reader based on the format but the words are prohibative for a young reader. They may enjoy listening to the book but I still think they would be confused. She uses words like crystalline, deduced, admirably, and saraphine. Not bad words but difficult for a young reader.
I, also, didn't care for the rhymes. The poetry was stilled and didn't flow like I felt it should. Had the rhymes not existed I would have liked the book more.
I would still recommend the book, solely based on the beauty of its illustrations. It's a great addition to any library.

No comments: