Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Creepy Presents: Bernie Wrightson

Bernie Wrightson's claim to fame began in the seventies. A leader in the new wave of comics, Bernie created a darker sort of comic in contrast to the superhero comics that came before. Some might contribute the salvation of comics to artists like Bernie Wrightson. His work was featured in Creepy and Eerie, two publications of his time.
While I don't have a reader relationship with Bernie Wrightson, I know his work. In fact, I'm rather sad that I didn't know his name before. His art is black and white and his stories borderline on the bizarre but all frightenly good.
For those familiar with the Masters of Horror television series, you might recognize Jenifer - a tale about a man who rescues a woman from murder in the woods only to find that there was a good reason for her to be killed.
This Galley had only half of the book but since it's a compilation of short tales, I didn't feel like anything was missing. I look forward to getting my hands on the complete manuscript and hunting for more of Bernie's works.
If you like horror comics, is this for you. It's not overly scary but it does get a little gruesome (muted by the black and white). Some of the stories were just slightly spooky and may be well received by young teens. However, older braver teens and adults will love this work.

No comments: