Monday, March 5, 2012

Slither Slide, What’s Outside? by Nora Hilb and Simon and Sheryl Shapiro

Just the other day a friend of mine said that according to an article she read publishers of children’s books are publishing less and less nature books because children are no longer connected to nature. It’s a sad thought. Enter Slither Slide, What’s Outside? and I find that perhaps that’s not true.
Slither Slide, What’s Outside? is a fun tale of nature that shares some of the things you might find throughout the year. The book is illustrated with beautiful photographs and fun pictures of children playing. I was stunned by the beauty of this book.
The language is simple and fun. The second page of the story has the children wiggling on the ground like worms. To me, that encourages active play along with a great story. I loved that each “verse” ended with a brightly colored word to punctuate that part of the story. “Slink”, “Glow”, “Splash” are all words I could imagine a child yelling out as the story is being told.
This may not be a perfect bedtime story but then again the pictures invite a reader in to experience them. I can see this as a wonderful story-time book in a young classroom setting or at the library. I would encourage people to purchase this book to show publishers that our children still like to experience nature.




No comments: