Friday, March 9, 2012

Birthday Suit by Olive Senior

Johnny likes running around in his birthday suit. Johnny reminds me of another little boy who refused to stay clothed (I can’t mention names but he’s turning 15 this month).
I can’t say this is the best children’s book ever written. The language bogs down here and there. In some cases, it just doesn’t flow right but that did not prevent me from enjoying little Johnny one hundred percent.
Olive Senior grew up in Jamaica which is apparent in her book. The story could be told from anywhere but the tropical flavors of the Caribbean imbue this book.
The illustrations are delightful and colorful. I enjoyed how the artist used the environment to protect Johnny’s modesty.
I do recommend this book. Mothers of nudist little boys will get an absolute kick out the story.



No comments: