Friday, January 14, 2011

Kiss of Death/Ghost Town - Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine

I love the Morganville Vampire books and was really disappointed that I read books 8 and 9 so quickly. Rachel Caine weaves such an amazing story that I devoured her books and then have to wait so long for the next one (days is too long for these books, months are forever).
The series begins with Claire attending college in a small Texas town. She is super smart and quite young (barely 17 when they start). Her parents convinced her to attend a college a little closer to home before she goes onto MIT. Claire is tormented by another student, Monica and finds her way to The Glass House where she eventually moves in. Claire has a way of finding trouble and soon discovers that the sleepy little town of Morganville is really a sanctuary for vampires. This starts an adventure for her that causes her to grow up really fast.
If you haven't read the series, I highly recommend it. They are action packed stories and Claire's angst is real. She is forced several times to choose between what's right and what's convenient for everyone else. She falls in love and has to make some really tough choices. For 17 years of age, Claire is really strong and isn't afraid to stand up for herself and others.
The people and vampires she meets are complex and interesting. I find myself wanting to know more. Once I pick up her books, I can't put them down.
I have to say that Ghost Town may be amongst my favorites. Claire shows amazing resolve. The entire town is losing their memory due to a faulty device and Claire must get everyone to safety, stop the machine and make everything right all while dealing with her friends and her boyfriend not being able to remember who she is. The emotional complexity of this book made me fall in love with the characters over and over.
The next book Bite Club comes out in April (wonder if I could make an early Mother's Day request).


No comments: