Monday, February 6, 2012

Sidewalk Canvas by Julie Kirk

Sidewalk art began in 16th century Italy. Artists at that time used the surface to illustrate religious icons and expressions. Over time the artists became known as Madonnari after their images of Christ and the Madonna. These themes have remained though the artists have changed. Today street painting is often filled with copies of Renaissance art. This particular art is more about the creation of the piece than the piece its self. The masterpieces are not meant to remain. Street painting or sidewalk art is becoming a growing phenomenon. Julie Kirk invites the reader into this transient world and has captured some amazing images while instructing the reader on how to create their own.
I can’t help but think of my own experiences with sidewalk art. The first image that popped into my mind was from Mary Poppins. The street art was magical but untouchable for me. I got to experience sidewalk chalk and dream about those artists who make art. I never thought that I could be such an artist. However, Julie Kirk just might convince me.
The book walks through all the information needed to create sidewalk art including a recipe to make your own pastels. It’s quite informative and doesn’t lose the reader like some art books can.
Even if you are not interested in creating sidewalk art, the pictures provided are worth your time to read this book.



No comments: