Monday, October 4, 2010

Kick-Ass by Mark Millar & John Romita Jr

This was one of those books I picked up because I had seen the movie. It was rather entertaining. I am not sure I really liked it because I really liked the movie and they are not the same. The movie had more of a happy ending (though how can anyone say that ending was happy). The plot line of Big Daddy and Hit Girl was rather sad in the book. Instead of being a cop on a mission, he turned out to be a really sad comic book nerd who taught his daughter how to be a superhero just for fun. I think the movie did it more justice by making their story more heroic.
I, also, was a little saddened by the fact the hero did not end up with the girl in the book. Granted, the book was more realistic - the movie was more romantic and followed a more superhero theme (the hero always gets the girl even if he can't be with her).
In either form, this is a great story. The idea that a normal person can be a superhero and the realistic view of what that means. Dave becomes a superhero only to end up in the hospital after his first attempt at heroism. He talks about why there aren't superheros because of this exact reason. He also talks about the addition being a superhero is. It's a really touching story that opens doors up to the average person. I don't recommend donning a costume and beating up bad guys but you don't have to turn a blind eye to the crime in your neighborhood. Perhaps it's my small town naivete that leads me to believe that if we all looked out for each other the world would be a better place but then again no one said it was wrong.

No comments: