Monday, October 4, 2010

30 Days of Night by Steve Niles & Ben Templesmith

I didn't really like the movie 30 Days of Night and now there is a sequel coming out. I saw the book at the library and thought maybe there would be something else about the story that made is so popular (it has a huge following).
I still don't get it. While the premise has so much promise - the story fell flat. In fact I think the movie might have done it more justice. In really great horror movies you find a connection to the characters - whether it's with the hero or the villian. There is something that draws you in and makes you want to follow the story. This story I just wanted to end. There were strange sub-stories that went nowhere - perhaps they are meant to have more meaning in future issues. The real disappointment is that you don't care about any of the characters. The sheriff had the potential to be a great hero but you don't know anything about him. His role in the book is really flat and you don't care that in the end he sacrifices everything to save the town.
You don't even like the villians - well that's not true, you just don't care. Who are they? Yes they are vampires and have come up with this great idea to play for the 30 days when there is no sun in this Alaskan town. There is a build up - that V is coming. Who cares? Who is V - by the time he shows up no one cares. He hates the idea and thinks everyone is stupid - and he's right because we don't care about them either.
What's really sad is that this has a following. The pictures are confusing and I can't really tell one character from another. The plot is flat even though it could have been great. I understand that there is a need to seperate the girly vampire stories from the scary vampire stories but please - this is just ridiculous. I am looking forward to a vampire story worth my time (okay there are some out there I read but the vampire is really losing it's reputation).

No comments: