Monday, May 2, 2011

Serenity: The Shepard's Tale by Joss and Zack Whedon

I had plans to post a book a day this week since I've got a pile of graphic novels but this one couldn't wait. Not only is it a great book but I didn't want to forget anything so I could share it.
This is a book for fans of the television show Firefly. There's not a lot of development in this graphic novel. It's all backstory about Shepard Book who was a mysterious character through the entire series.
The graphic novel starts with the scene that lead to Book's death in the movie Serenity. It's then told in snippets, each a few year before the previous one. It's an amazing story. There's not a lot of detail but you get a real sense of what happened to him.
Because of the nature of this particular story, there's not a lot I can share without giving away some secrets. I do have to say that the way Joss and Zach wrote this story is perfect. I don't think it would have the same impact if they would have started with his childhood and worked up to his death. The best part of this is not understanding his motivation while you watch the results. It just goes to show you that even great men can have dark pasts and still be great men. I like that God doesn't forsake and even the most humble beginnings can find peace.

No comments: