Thursday, March 10, 2011

Warriors Ravenpaw's Path by Erin Hunter

There is a very irritating trend out there when it comes to books turned into graphic novels. The author creates several "lines" of stories and each line has several editions. This is not what is irritating - it's that the lines are often release simultaneously. I first noticed this with the Anita Blake graphic novels - it was a little confusing but at least the titles are quite clear on the cover. The Warriors graphic novels have Warriors in large print at the top and a clearly marked number in the lower right corner. What the reader may not notice is a tiny title squished between the Warriors and the cat picture which dictates which line the book is in. We didn't notice this when my son picked up books 1 and 2 from the library. We had read the first book some time ago but my son thought he would need a refresher. Me, I don't often re-read books - not in my nature. So as I am reading book 2 I begin to wonder if I should have read book 1 because I was a little confused. Until I got to the end and there were several pages dictating which graphic novels were available in the Warriors franchise. Grr - it would have been nice if they would have done something to make it noticable. Perhaps the cat in the picture is suppose to let me know that this was a different series but I don't think so.
Anyway - with that complaint out of the way I can talk about the story. I tried reading an actual Warriors book and just could not get into them. I didn't think reading a story from the perspective of a cat would be difficult but it just didn't work for me. The graphic novels pull back the perspective and allow the reader a sort of omnipresent view of the story. I like this better but I am not sure I am a fan of the stories. There's not enough plot in these graphic novels to keep me interested but should be perfect for a younger reader. The wording is simple - except when it comes to names of the cats and the clans, they might be a little more difficult for the young reader but that can easily be solved with a nearby adult.
The stories are somewhat violent since they do deal with cats battling for territory and other necessities. There's not a lot of violence depicted and the pictures are black and white so there's no blood distinction.

No comments: