Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place - The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood

Just the title alone made me want to read this book. The premise, a young governess comes to take care of three children who were found in the woods and apparently have been raised by wolves, called to me in a way I have not been called in awhile. This book promised hilarity, adventure and perhaps a little more.
I got all that I expected from this book. Penelope is a recent graduate from the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females and is hired at Ashton Place to care for the children. The staff and lady of the house get her to agree to the position before revealing to her that the lord of the house found the children on a hunting expidition in the woods around the house. Penelope is a determined girl. She's not going to let anything get in the way of her being a great governess.
The kids are a source of delight in the story - they are quirky but there is something kind and loving about them. The three attach themselves to Penelope and strive to show her just how smart they are.
Penelope must get them ready to attend a Christmas Party at the house so they can be shown off. During the party things go horribly wrong leaving Penelope to wonder who would sabotage her efforts with the children. Where did they come from and who would abandon their children in the woods?
The only thing I dislike about the book is that the next one has just come out and it will be awhile before the third (I hate it when I find a great series just as it's been written because I am terribly impatient).
A review on Amazon said that this book was Jane Eyre meet Lemony Snickett - I totally agree. The writing will delight anyone and is simple enough for middle grade (and maybe a little younger).

No comments: