Monday, March 14, 2011

Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun by Lois Winston

I first discovered this book on a fellow writer's blog. It was interesting but I don't often find books that I see on blogs since my access is limited (I know I could go online but then my budget would never forgive me). Imagine my surprise when this book appeared on the list of new books at the library. When I finally worked my way down the pile of books from the library to this gem I devoured it. (Why is it that all my requests are available at the same time?)
Lois Winston has created a nice little mystery. Assualt with a Deadly Glue Gun introduces Anastasia Pollack, a crafts editor for a national magazine. The story starts with Anastasia's husband dying and leaving her in a mountain of debt due to his closet gambling addiction. The debts keep piling on as the story continues. And he left her with his mother who was staying until she could get back on her feet. If that's not enough, her mother's husband dies and Anastasia soon has both mothers and a house full of chaos and a co-worker is found murdered at her desk (like how I did that?).
The story is great. It does wrap up a little to quickly at the end but overall it's a great read. There is so much going on in this book that it's practically overwhelming but it's realistic. The story is peppered with humor and action (I actually laughed out loud at one point and startled myself).
I look forward to the next book in this series and highly recommend it. There are a few craft ideas in the book but I don't think it works as well as those mysteries with recipes. Crafts are really visual and I couldn't picture half of what the end results were suppose to be but that's just a little part of the book and easy to skip over.

No comments: