Friday, September 17, 2010

The Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall

This book was so good I devoured it and then got online to see if there would be more Penderwick books. There will be more but the next one is not coming out until 2011.
These books are going to be classics right up there with Little Women and Pippy Longstocking. The tales are timeless and touching. In this sequel, the girls are faced with their father dating, a crush from the boy across the street and a new neighbor. The chemistry amongst the characters is amazing and realistic. Makes me want to have four girls (or three sisters).
Another thing that is fun about these books is Jane, the third sister, is an avid reader and often brings in quotes from other books such as Magic by the Lake and The Little Princess.
Jeanne Birdsall's writing is smart. A little latin, a little classical reference but I never get the feeling she's writing above my head (as happens with some writers). I don't know the latin but I get it's meaning (and it's not dumbed down for the reader either). It's a great work of literature and the only regret I have is that I didn't read it sooner.... but then it would be a longer wait for the next book.

No comments: