Monday, December 19, 2011

Maya & Filippo Play Chef at Sea by Alinka Rutkowska

I just am not sure how I feel about this book. The language is funny and makes me suspect the author is not a native English speaker. I searched the author only to find there is no real information about her. Every thing is about her decision to travel and write but nothing about where she originated. The language on her blog only seconds my suspicion that she is not a native English speaker. Had she mentioned that, I think I would have enjoyed the book more.
The great thing about this book is that the drawings are simple and open inviting the reader to color. I am big on coloring.
However, the story was a bit odd as if the author is not really familiar with child behavior. The characters, Maya and Filippo live on a ship and this particular day they are joining other children in the kitchen to make cakes. They are left to make whatever they like. One boy is not sure he wants to make a cake. With one sentence, Maya is able to convince the boy to make a cake and then at the end he doesn't like it. The other weird part had to do with Maya and Filippo fighting over an orange. It just didn't work for me.
This is the second book in the series but to be honest - I wouldn't pay $10 for either. I think there is a good idea here but the author needs to work on the story more than the concept.



No comments: