Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Magdalena Vol 1 by Ron Marz

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this one. I like the action but not so keen on the characters.
The Magdalena has served as the Catholic Church's weapon for 2000 years. Patience is the most recent in the line and doesn't care for how the church is ran. Called back to stop the son of Satan, Patience finds that there's more to the battle than meets the eye.
I'm interested in more of her story but probably not enough to seek it out. The art is well constructed and the plot is engaging. As I said I just couldn't connect to the characters. I liked Patience but her wishy washy feelings about her calling was less than desirable. I don't think she needed to be fully invested in the church and she could question the church's role but I don't think it came across well.
Her companion Kristoff had a lot of potential but it just feel flat.
I know we're supposed to hate Innocence but I really didn't like him. Not even as a villian. He just came across as mealy. I, also, didn't care for his name. Cardinal Innocence just sounded cartoony especially with her name, Patience. At least they had enough sense to give Kristoff a more human sounding name.
The rumor is there's a Magdalena movie - I'm interested but will have to see how it plays out.

No comments: