Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Honestly, Red Riding Hood Was Rotten by Trisha Speed Shaskan

I don't normally review young children's books but I read a fair amount. I don't review them because I don't include them in my book count unless they are spectacular in some way. When I joined NetGalley, I agreed to do children's books. I have come across some really cute books and can't wait to share them.

Honestly, Little Red Riding Hood Was Rotten is such a cute book. It's funny, entertaining and gives a different perspective to the Red Riding Hood story. This story is told by the wolf who explains why he ate Red Riding Hood and her grandmother. It's not scary in any way and should not frighten small children. The pictures are vivid and wonderful.
One thing that really sets this book apart from others I have viewed is that at the end it encourages the child to compare the story to the original and asks some questions. It encourages creative thought.
It, also, comes with a couple of websites associated with the publishing company. I explored these sites and just was amazed at the content. It is geared towards younger children (up to 4th grade) but it attempts to offer more advanced sites for those in 5th grade and up. I think they are worth exploring. www.facthound.com and www.capstonekids.com

No comments: