Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Exile by Diana Gabaldon

I had no idea what this graphic novel was about but I could tell it was based on a book series (in my head it was a different series but oh well). Having no previous experience with the Outlander books this made for a nice introduction. I was a little confused by the story knowing that subtle details were missing. That's the problem with converting a book into a graphic novel - things have to change. I found the story to have far too many characters for me to keep straight. In a novel, that's not a problem because the reader is told who is who but in a graphic novel you have to distinguish each character visually and in this case it just did not work as well as I would have liked.
The story is a good story and I have added Outlander to my reading list. It's a twist in the fantasy/sci-fi genre. Jamie Fraser lives in Scotland and the story takes place in 1743. He's returned home from war with a price on his head and a plot to kill him. Claire Randall wakes up in the center of the stones to find that she has entered his time without any reason as to why. Jamie is forced to marry her to save her life and his as well. It's an interesting story and one I am sure plays out better in the novel.

No comments: